Favourable geographical location of DIS
- Port of Antwerpen
- Port of Rotterdam
- Born inland harbour container terminal
Port of Antwerp
The port of Antwerp is the biggest sea port in Belgium and second in size in Europe (after Rotterdam). In 2014, the port of Antwerp had a transhipment of more than 199 million tons. In terms of general cargo, Antwerp is one of the biggest ports in Europe.
The port of Antwerp is connected to the North Sea by the Westerschelde and it plays a major role in international trade. It is located far inland, significantly reducing the distances for rail and road transport.
This is to the advantage of container transport, which very often makes use of these transport options. Container transport has expanded immensely since the 1950s, mainly due to the previous economy in Walloon. Standard loads are simply easier to transport and simpler to handle. Not only traditional products, such as textile and electronics, are transported by container, but also fruits and other foodstuffs, cars and other products are common nowadays in the container market.
Port of Rotterdam
The annual transhipment in the port of Rotterdam is around 450 million ton. That makes the Rotterdam port the largest in Europe. The port area encompasses 12,500 hectares (land & water, of which approximately 6,000 hectares is industrial terrain). The total length of the port area is more than 40 kilometres. Around 30,000 sea-going vessels call on the port annually as well as 110,000 inland navigation vessels.
Born inland container terminal
- Daily multimodal connections by barges, trucks and railway with the giant ports of Rotterdam and Antwerp
- Transport of containers per inland navigation vessels between Rotterdam, Antwerp and Born
- All-inclusive container logistics from port to final destination and vice versa
- Trucking to destinations in Limburg, Germany and Belgium (a fleet of more than 50 trucks and more than 95 chassis)
- Cargo handling - storage – repair and cleaning - Customs Warehouse C, Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) certified
- Storage for filled and empty containers
- Container reparations
- In-house customs services